Monday, October 18, 2010

Outdoor Adventures: the Arb


Working out at the gym is a means to an end for me - I want to be fit so I can play outside. Instead of planning workouts, I'm focusing on planning outdoor adventures. It's not always easy to figure out how to get outside, but the rewards are great, especially amid the fall folliage. In the past few weeks I've noticed that finding resources in my own neighborhood seemed more daunting than finding them when I travel. Lisa, my training buddy and great adventure planner, has really helped me see that Ann Arbor has great workout opportunities hidden under our noses.


Circuit Training in Nichols Arboretum - Ann Arbor, Michigan
The hills, meadows, and benches along the trail at the Arb create an ideal outdoor gym. Lisa and I alternated walk/jogs with strength training on the benches. When we came to a bench we paused for dips, push ups, and stretches, making this walk in the woods a real interval workout.


photos thanks to dustytraveller.blogspot.com and yipe.emich.edu/~npolaski

No comments:

Post a Comment