Friday, September 24, 2010

Summer Recap II: Triathlon Results

It's time to get a new race on my calendar! I signed up for the She Rocks all women sprint triathlon last year to celebrate turning 60. I surprised even myself when I signed up again this year [now called Iron Goddesses]. Training for the tri this past spring kept me motivated and created opportunities for some great workouts with my training buddies and de facto coaches. Here's one of my favorite shots of Lisa and me working on our cores:


Last year my splits were 27:53 [swim] 40:58 [bike] and 31:34 [run] for a total of 1 hr and 44 mins. My times this year were 23:49 [swim] 40:45 [bike] and 31:34 [run] for a total of 1h and 40 mins. That's 4 minutes faster than my 2009 times! I think a lot of it was mental - being ready for that big pack of thrashing arms and legs in the water and not letting the anxiety steal my breath. It's nice to see I didn't lose any speed on the run, even though that's the toughest leg for "well-seasoned" joints like mine. And where would I be without spinning class!

How were your races this summer? I'd be happy to post your pictures if you want to submit them!

Today is the first day of fall and you'll find my new schedule posted on the calendar at the bottom on the blog. See you in class!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on another great race! I hope you rewarded yourself with a cookie or two ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Kate, your cooking was the highlight of my last week of training (that, and running by the beach sure beats the treadmill!). My triathlon, Five Mile Lake women's sprint triathlon in WA, had a slightly shorter swim and slightly longer bike than Iron Goddesses I think. My times were: 7:01 [swim] 53:48 [bike] and 29:09 [run]. Add in my notoriously slow transition times for a total of 1 hr and 34 mins. It was a great birthday present to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is why I live in SD. So that my friends, who do fitness-type activities, will visit only because they can run by the beach ;)

    I'm sure our macaroons helped your times! Congrats to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate, Your discussion of cookies and training has given me an idea. I know what a creative baker you are so come up with a high protein cookie -that tastes great, is not too high in calories and could replace "power bars" which I think are getting pretty boring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I signed up for "The Turkey Stuffer" 5K race in Eugene for Thanksgiving today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations E.B. on a good "Turkey" race. What is your next event?

    ReplyDelete